About Izu Oshima Geopark
A geopark is an area where people are well aware of the origins and characteristics of the earth (geo) on which they live, and where the landscape, flora and fauna, and people's lives that have been nurtured there are protected as important treasures, and are well utilized for education, disaster prevention, and industrial promotion.
By getting to know our region well, we can understand that our region does not exist alone, but was born out of the great workings of the earth, and that our lives and livelihoods have been nurtured through deep relationships with the surrounding regions.
In other words, we realize that it is not only our own region that should be cherished.
The word "GEOPARK" expresses our desire to enjoy and learn more about the earth (geo) and its connection to our lives.
Features of the Izu Oshima Geopark
- This area covers the entire island of Izu Oshima.
- Located on the eastern edge of the Philippine Sea Plate, Izu Oshima is one of the youngest and most active volcanic islands in Japan, created by the movement of the earth's active plates.
- Since its birth, the island has never been in contact with the continent, and is surrounded by the sea.
- In addition to a harsh living environment consisting of limited resources such as transportation and logistics that are easily cut off due to weather conditions and water shortages, the islands are easily affected by natural phenomena such as repeated eruptions, earthquakes, tsunamis, heavy rains, and strong winds, which are proof that the earth is alive.
- The people, plants, and animals of the islands have the strength of mind and body to adapt to and overcome these harsh environments, and have developed their own unique ecology, history, culture, and lifestyle while utilizing the blessings of nature.
- Despite the harsh living environment and severe risk of natural disasters, the Izu Oshima Geopark is a place where you can In the Izu Oshima Geopark,
- You can experience the heartbeat and temperature of the earth and observe brand-new geological phenomena created by earth activities.
- It is a treasure house of precious living things unique to the island, and you can learn about the process of evolution of living things.
- In a compact area, you can experience the process of the formation of the land from a bare rock and soil with not a single plant or tree left to a forest where the change of plant species cannot proceed any further.
- You can learn about the wisdom of life and the rich culture of people who have lived in the face of nature.
- You can enjoy the blessings of nature brought by volcanoes and the Kuroshio Current with all five senses.
The Izu Oshima Geopark was recognized as a Japanese Geopark in September 2010.
In the Izu Oshima Geopark, we will take advantage of the unique characteristics of this area, and together with the islanders and visitors, we will experience the traces and phenomena of earth activities up close and understand them scientifically.
UNESCO Global Geoparks
As of April 2022, there are 177 UNESCO Global Geoparks in 46 countries.
Japanese Geoparks Network
As of January 2022, the JGN regular membership consists of 9 UNESCO Global Geoparks in Japan and 37 Japanese National Geoparks.
National Park and Geopark
There are 34 national parks in Japan located across all regions, from the northern tip of Hokkaido to the southernmost islands of Okinawa. Of these, Izu Oshima belongs to the "Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park". Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park is a national park representing the volcanic powerhouse of Japan, comprising four areas of the volcanic belt that stretches from Mount Fuji to the Izu, Ogasawara and Mariana Islands: Mount Fuji, Hakone, the Izu Peninsula and the Izu Islands.
The National Park is a mechanism for the appropriate "protection" and "use" of nature and is in line with the principles of the Geopark. Therefore, the Izu Oshima Geopark is promoting various initiatives in cooperation with the National Park.
Together we will protect the charm of Izu Oshima
－Special Protection Zone
Inside the summit caldera is the Special Protection Zone in Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park and is protected by the Natural Parks Law. Please enjoy while cherishing rich nature and scarce resources.