Originally, Mt. Mihara was enshrined as Mihara Daimyojin, the chief god of Oshima, and there was only a torii gate at the foot of the mountain.
In the Taisho era, a fine concrete shrine was built in the middle of Mt. Mihara, and a small shrine was built at the top of the mountain. However, the shrine was buried in the lava flow that overflowed from the crater at the top of the mountain during the 1950-51 eruption, and was later moved and rebuilt at its present location at the top of the mountain. At that time, it was connected to the approach from the uphill slope of the Mt. Mihara.
During the 1986 eruption, lava from the summit crater also flowed down the slopes of Mt. Mihara in multiple streaks. However, due to a rise of lava in 1951 behind the shrine, the lava flow split into two to avoid the shrine and flowed down the surrounding low ground, thus saving the shrine from being buried. The lava that flowed on both sides went down the slope of Mt. Mihara and met near the bottom of the caldera to spread out.